Cre824 and the Noog

We’re back after this weekend’s Cre824 in Chattanooga. The Tubatomic guys really did an amazing job with the event. From the festival’s consistently gorgeous identity with huge banners, two t-shirt designs, a wicked poster, rich program package and slick video speaker intros, to an impressive speaker line-up including Joshua Davis, Gmunk, the guys from Digg and Timothy Gray (among others), the only thing belying the festival’s first year status was the number of attendees and competitors (of which there was still a respectable number). That they pulled of a first year conference of this quality in a little under six months is just unbelievable. I can’t wait to see what they can do with a full year.

Making of Mint

I want to thank everyone who turned out for my presentation. I had a great time talking with you after the session and over the course of the next day.

I’ve posted my deck from Making a Mint: Productize your ideas. Looking through the slides reveals that the meat of my presentation was all (in the) talk. If the session doesn’t show up on the Cre824 website in the next couple of days I’ll try to make some time to do a podcast (à la Will’s WWDC Talk) to flesh it out some.

Free Programming Tips
Brass
Shaun Inman
November 21st, 2005 at 6:10 pm
Categories
Design
Mint
Web
Event
Comments
019 (Now closed)

019 Comments

001

Hey Shaun, I hate I missed the event. However, I was curious what type face you used in the presentation? So clean and smooth.

Alex Beard
Nov 21st, 2005 3:03 pm
002

I would have loved to be there, but being on the other side of the US made that not possible. I did listen to “Making a Mint” on cre824.com, so it’s nice to see the slides that went with it.

Good stuff.

Elliot Swan
Nov 21st, 2005 3:28 pm
003

Wow, yeah, what font is that.

It’s pretty nice. I like it.

With alex, I hate that I missed the event (not that I could have gone anyway). Seemed like a blast and I would love to hear your speech.

Also, to hear your speech and the others do we have to pay the $34.95 or is your speech not included in that?

Patrick Weber
Nov 21st, 2005 3:36 pm
004

Sorry guys, no surprises here. I’m a one-trick pony. With me the typeface is almost always FF Din.

The $35 was for the entire event when it happened. I’m not sure they’ll be able to post all the sessions (think of the bandwidth) so that may have been just hopeful speculation on my part.

Shaun Inman
Nov 21st, 2005 3:44 pm
005

Haha, I’ll keep that in mind the next time I ask you what font you used ;).

If they don’t post the video do you think you could? I’d love to see it.

Patrick Weber
Nov 21st, 2005 3:52 pm
006

That is if you have the video of course.

Patrick Weber
Nov 21st, 2005 3:52 pm
007

Of course it’s Din. I can’t believe I asked :). I’m looking forward to the (possible) podcast.

Alex Beard
Nov 21st, 2005 6:26 pm
008

All of us here at Tubatomic just want to say thanks again for showing up and rocking out. Maybe next year you can come back up for some free drinks and loud laughs. Or, compete and be sent to France (we,we). We’re working on the “cre824 aftersite” as I write this, which should include videos of all the speakers, etc. I’m also working on a video reel of the event, which should be up sometime before I slice the Turkey.

M.A. Turner
Nov 22nd, 2005 9:50 am
009

Thanks for speaking Shaun. Great insight. I’ve been mullling a “product” to help subsidize income, and have been focusing on how to differentiate and your talk helped bring me a bit of focus; I feel in no way the programmer you are, but nothing like learning under fire …

Paul
Nov 22nd, 2005 8:16 pm
010

Thanks for the kinds words on the banners and print materials I don’t think anyone’s ever referred to something I designed as “wicked” so i’m smiling.

Joshua Blankenship
Nov 24th, 2005 1:53 pm
011

Sounded like fun.

Thanks for putting up those slides.

Oliver Zheng
Nov 26th, 2005 6:42 pm
012

hey man,

just checked out the slides, and i think i can fill in the holes myself, definitely looking forward to the video though, wish i could have been there to hear ya speak…maybe next year? hmm..we’ll see…

travis
Nov 26th, 2005 7:24 pm
013

“We’re working on the “cre824 aftersite” as I write this, which should include videos of all the speakers, etc. I’m also working on a video reel of the event, which should be up sometime before I slice the Turkey.”

Any idea when that’s going to be up? I am very excited!

Patrick Weber
Nov 26th, 2005 11:54 pm
014

Thank you Shaun for a wonderful presentation and fun conversation afterwards. I’m glad to have met you in person, as you continue to inspire me in so many ways.

Jay
Nov 28th, 2005 6:27 am
015

You’re lecture was shit-hot, many thanks for coming down and delivering the goods.

Josiah
Dec 1st, 2005 9:30 am
016

Great stuff. Looking forward to your next post.

Viktor
Dec 1st, 2005 2:03 pm
017

You did a fantastic job. ‘Twas especially refreshing to hear a “regular guy” speak not someone who was either a) into how great they were or b) spouting corporate propaganda or c) so intellectual you couldn’t understand a word they said without a PhD or d) trying to be cool.

Frank
Dec 4th, 2005 12:17 pm
018

I’m really sad I couldn’t be there. I can’t wait to be there next year. I wonder if Adobe might not front the bill to make the sessions available online at least for a brief period? But that, too, is probably jusy wishful thinking.

dryan
Dec 4th, 2005 4:08 pm
019

Shaun, I’m really sorry I missed your presentation. I was on Sitening, one of the pro teams that was competing in the 24 hour web design contest. I’ll keep an eye out for you at future conferences.

Just like you, I had a blast at the conference. It was very well done for being in its infancy. Next year should be even better.

Jon Henshaw